Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16967
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:24pm

Topic: NF Teanaway Update
Posted By: JayB
Subject: NF Teanaway Update
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:16am
Tried to add this as a river alert but it wasn't working for some reason. Will try again later - but for now I'll just post this here.

As of 5/10/18 the NF is closed for business until the next flood cycle. Trees felled by (fire?) crews along the bank plus natural wood have combined to create dozens of channel spanning blockages that will persist until the next dramatic high water event.

-------------
-Jay

Replies:
Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 5:25pm
bummer

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: BRoss
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:59pm
Thats too bad. Good memories of running laps on that with you JayB, back in 2013??

-------------
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:33pm
Thanks for the update, Jay. River alerts still don't seem to be working, but I added a note onto the river page for this section.

Date Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by BRoss

Thats too bad. Good memories of running laps on that with you JayB, back in 2013??

Likewise! Hit me up if you want to get out again!

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:01pm
Sounds like part of what I was seeing may have been the result of habitat restoration work.

If it was a habitat restoration crew that did some of the cutting, there are a couple of ironic aspects to the "restoration" that took place.

The first is that anyone even remotely familiar with the river, or at least the part that we kayak, would know that natural processes are constantly depositing significant amount wood in the channel.

The second is that some nimrod dropped a 28-32" diameter pine across the channel that's hovering about two feet over the river. I suppose that'd cast a bit of a shadow, but how that'd do anything to constructively modify the habitat is a bit of a puzzle.

*It could be that that particular tree was felled by some random moron, which would make more solve the "how is creating a tree-bridge supposed to help the habitat" conundrum...

-------------
-Jay

Print Page | Close Window