Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17015
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:33am

Topic: R.I.P. Tom Love
Posted By: jP
Subject: R.I.P. Tom Love
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 5:34pm
I just received sad news from some of Tom's friends that he passed away today. For those who haven't heard the name, Tom Love is the inventor of the "Shredder" (the bad-ass R2 boat that's been ripped off by many raft manufacturers). Known for being lightweight and very packable when deflated, The (one and only) Shredder helped revolutionize and pave the way for steep creek rafting.

Tom was a character- I'm typing this off the cuff because I just heard the news. Not sure of his exact age, he was in his seventies. He was an early pioneer of the Upper Yough, and part of the vanguard and nucleus of the scene that later developed there as it flourishes to this day.

He never really had much of a kayak roll, but by no means did that stop him from those early Upper Yough days and even in recent years he would take a kayak out for moonlight runs on the lower yough ect.

An insightful mystic that I'll loosely characterize as perhaps some combo of Kieth Richards and Hunter S Thompson (he inspired me greatly with his river philosophy and knowledge.

Unless you've boated in the east you may have never heard of him, or maybe have yet to see one of his legendary boats, but we are all Boofing Off The Shoulders of Giants and this sport has always had amnesia with regards to its rich history. Tom Love is a great example of those few innovators from our sport's history who essentially paved the way for the rest of us to follow. They Invented stuff in their back woods garages that still influences much of what we do out there today.

Give props to your Whitewater Elders, because more and more of them are heading to the put-in for the River Styx. Especially those who contributed to the cornerstones of Whitewater's Golden Age. Whose ripples are still felt upon the rivers of the world.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Replies:
Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:45am
A whitewater Pioneer. He will be missed but his legacy lives on in the many paddlecat designs out there.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 11:28am
Having been rather disconnected from the community as of late it is sad to hear about founding / heritage level folks moving on to the next level. It does offer a good reminder to consider those whose passion effected our lives knowing and unknowingly.

JP clear your Private Messages, trying to hit ya up!

Posted By: Slackkinhard
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:13am
Thanks JP.

Print Page | Close Window