Professor Paddle: Downward Spiral? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Downward Spiral? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 3:15pm
Dave I will have to disagree that it is inconvenient to post trips from a mobile device. If you link the e-mail you use with you PP account to your smart phone the only time you have to log on is when you post the trip. I get e-mails telling me when people join or leave the trip, and when people post something on the trip discussion (it also includes their post in the e-mail). I don't have to be logged in to check the gauges either.

I post and manage most of my trips with my blackberry. If your phone and account is set up properly it is really simple.

Maybe if you have asked for this a bunch of times a binch of different ways and it hasn't happened that just means it is not going to.

As of this posting you have 3016 posts, all of which you had to be logged in to post. How big of an issues can logging in really be?

Kyle
I smell bacon
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 5:54pm
Sorry, I wont do it again...
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:27am
I agree with Kyle. You've posted so much! How dare you Complain! Also, are the blackberries not smart enough as the iPhone to save your user name and password for easy login? I have no issues here. How's about a radical vaginal sandectomy for you. Bahahaha.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:22am
Originally posted by dave

WOW, again, I made the charts not Leif!

He gave me the tools to do the work and I did the work. I was just using the tools to make a point that ...blah blah blah...
  I have a problem reading long winded posts, so sorry if I did not read the previous posts.

ok Dave, no long winded posts. I promise. How's this to sum it up?

you're just trying to stir sh*t up and as usual folks indulged you hook line and stinker. but still:

boring sh*t was almost funny the first time around. now its just boring...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:53am
Originally posted by MikeV

When I started boating again about 10 years ago (after about 10 years off) ... It used to be that if you saw someone with a boat on the top of their car you gave them a wave. Sometimes you'd meet them on the river and go out for a beer and some Mexican food after. It was tight.

Then along came professor paddle... this site was an anecdote for me. Someone wanted to hit the river, posted a message and the trip was on. If you wanted to know if someone was up for a run, you asked them. If someone was going to swim, it was probably going to be on a class III run or below, so not a big deal to me, just fish in their stuff, and get back on the river.

I definitely hear the worry about having someone join a trip when you don't know about their paddling skill (or if they're a total nut job). But, I think we've lost that sense of a kayaking community that we used to have here in the NW - it didn't take long before you knew most of the people out on the river. Some were out everyday, some you'd see every few months.  Pretty soon, you were part of a larger connected group. Almost seems like a reflection of our times that people are becoming more insular. I think we're losing something that elevated kayaking above so many of the other sports we can enjoy here in the NW.

Maybe I'm totally off, and it's just a cycle. Or maybe it's not safe to post a trip.

great to read your thoughts, Mike. If for no other reason than this, this thread  shouldn't be deleted, as someone suggested. But then again, you remember the pre-internet boating era, right MikeV? I mean, you didn't need a trip posting tool then did you?

My point is: it's a nice tool, but if it doesn't get used, its sort of like natural selection, isn't it? And then there's all sorts of casual posts for the Sky, CC Stilly, Robe, weekend plans, ect. I mean- that is a mode that clearly works to connect people to each other, doesn't it?

I don't see a problem.

And I see more of a problem among class III boaters not wanting to "take along someone they don't know" because they aren't willing to rescue people. But if you're only talking about class III anyway, sincerely embracing a rescue situation is one of the best ways to improve as a class III boater and progress to class IV.

but yall can do whatever you want. doesn't matter to me. post a trip, don't post a trip. keep to yourself, be open and inclusive, ect. just get what it is out of the sport you want to.

But I too think it smells as if Dave is just trying to stir some sh*t up for the sake of it.
so back to my original asssessment:
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:59am
I'm getting a little tired of all the hating and bashing going on here.  I have a fun time and respect and love all of you but its getting hard to swallow all the hate and mistrust.  In the past month I have had great river days with Lief and James and it kills me that we can't all get along.  I hope that you can all continue to welcome me boating with you although I don't have a reason or care to judge across these lines of disagreement.

Lets drop our egos and try to be a little humble for the sake of the community. 

Finger pointing and he did this or he said that will do nothing but bring us down.  Lessons in life have always left me with the hope that I can get along with even some of the people I have had the most conflict with.  That hasn't always worked out but, damn, I do not like seeing it here in my beloved boating community....

HUMBLE  eye of the tiger, HUMBLE cool like fonzi

"To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals courtesy , to inferiors nobleness"
Benjamin Franklin

MORE RAIN PLEASE
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:54pm
I love you too, Horner. Let's go boating.
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by franzhorner

I'm getting a little tired of all the hating and bashing going on here.  I have a fun time and respect and love all of you but its getting hard to swallow all the hate and mistrust. 
Lets drop our egos and try to be a little humble for the sake of the community.  Finger pointing and he did this or he said that will do nothing but bring us down. 
HUMBLE  eye of the tiger, HUMBLE cool like fonzi

"To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals courtesy , to inferiors nobleness" -Benjamin Franklin

Well said!! I'm glad someone finally did... THANK YOU!!

And I love the quote!!
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:09pm
If nothing else - this thread has been a good reminder to post trips.

I got rescued plenty of times when I was getting started, and after I got established I paddled lots of cool rivers that I never would have experienced, and met lots of great folks thanks to people posting trips online.

One easy way to deal with the whole rescue thing is to state upfront whether newer folks are welcome or not. That's no guarantee that you won't wind up chasing boats and swimmers, but I've seen a few trip-leaders swim on runs that they had dialed in my day so there's no guarantee that you won't be the one grateful to the folks who helped you out!
-Jay
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 6:38pm

I think most of us would agree on the importance of experienced paddlers showing the ropes to up-and-coming boaters, as that is part of the life-blood and crucial to the longevity of this love we call kayaking.     At the same time I’d also stress the importance of newer boaters honestly communicating their abilities.  I think some of the frustration comes not from taking someone down a new run, but from taking someone on a run that would have been appropriate for their skills had they been up to what was advertised…  Experienced boaters should feel some responsibility in ensuring the health and longevity of kayaking by supporting and encouraging newer paddlers.  And newer paddlers have the responsibility to be honest about their abilities, and to practice their skills so they’re appropriate for the task at hand.  This in part comes from the realization that the best and safest way to improve is to spend some time practicing harder skills in (more) controlled environments.   I’d much rather spend a day on the water with an aspiring class III boater working solid class III skills on a class II+ stretch than I would playing fetch my gear on a harder run…  

doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 12:03pm
Well said.  But it's not always the fault of the newbie, sometimes more experienced paddlers-- people who should know better-- encourage newbies to run things they're really not ready for yet.  I personally believe that swimming is detrimental to progress and try to avoid it by building skills on easier runs, but I know a lot of boaters who feel that swimming is just part of the sport and is an ALMOST UNAVOIDABLE consequence of learning to run harder water.  Newbies, being newbies, don't know who to believe, and so they occasionally get suckered onto runs they have no business boating.

As for helping fellow boaters improve, that has got to be one of the most awesome aspects of our sport.  I have been immensely thankful (thanks Dave!) that someone is helping me get comfortable on Class IV runs, while at the same time, I've been trying to help other boaters I know get comfortable on Class III+ runs.  Have these trips been posted on PP?  No.  But they've been happening all year long.
Don't waste water!
MikeV
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote MikeV Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:15pm
Hey JP,

When I started boating, we didn't have the internet (god that sounds like a cranky old man talking and I'm not that old), but we did have a bulletin board at the co-op and university-served the same function, but has become obsolete. People also seemed much more likely to take someone under their wing, and, as I said, WKC used to be great too. Online boards are way cool though, and much easier to access. To me, it's just seemed harder these past couple of years to connect with a trip since I don't get out as much as I used to and WKC and PP don't seem to have as many trips as they used to. I've wondered if it's a function of a change in attitude about kayaking itself from a soulful experience to just another sport. I also think the decline of the WKC is either a reflection of this (or maybe a partial cause).
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
windwaves
Paddler
Paddler

Quote windwaves Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:11pm
I wonder the same thing as I saw the evolution in a couple other passtimes  (windsurfing and climbing) from a community of helpful folks to a sport of attitudes where anyone without the coolest gear or latest moves became just a pain in the ass for the regular crowd.

Boaters never seemed that way to me... more of the fun, less attitude.  I hope it stays that way.  I don't know how many pro climbers spend time helping folks work on skills at local crags, but in my short time boating, I've gotten some free advice from Eric Jackson twice in rivers on different sides of the country.

Like Mike V, most of my chances to get out these days are spur of the moment and I've been very grateful to join trips in the past that were posted here... So thanks again to James for the site and Jeff B, JP, Sampson, Adrian, ChrisH20tha, Erik S, ... and others of you that do regularly post trips  for being willing to invite others along.

I agree with jalmquist on being honest about your skills to not turn a trip into a sh*tshow. 

I think it's also part of the deal about joining a trip to take the advice of the group seriously.  If someone suggests that you consider portaging boulder drop today, there is probably a reason....
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version