Professor Paddle: Parking Pass required as of July 1 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Parking Pass required as of July 1 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
DaveH
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DaveH Replybullet Topic: Parking Pass required as of July 1
    Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:31am

Heads up - as of tomorrow (1 July) The Man is requiring cars to display the new Discovery Pass in order to park legally at many of the local access points (i.e., Kanasket Palmer)

http://discoverpass.wa.gov/

Info from the site...

The Discovery Pass is good for parking at all State Parks, Department of Natural Resources and Fish and Wildlife locations.
A one day pass costs $10.00 plus a $1.50 dealer fee and a one year pass is $30 plus a $5 dealer fee.
You can purchase a pass online and are able to print a temp pass until the real one arrives in the mail.
The Discovery Pass is also sold at all locations where fishing licenses are sold (i.e., Fred Meyer).

The fine is $99 for not displaying the pass.
206-795-0617
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 12:43pm
Yeah- I got mine but grrrr...what pisses me off is that you have to put the license number- ONE ONLY- on the pass. It seems to me that the pass is issued to ME not some vehicle. Si if I take the wife's car one day, we have to buy another pass for that! Even the old Fish and Game parking passes allowed for more than one license number.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:56pm
Thanks for the link and reminder.  At least it covers both the DNR and State Park one - I seem to recall the last time there was a state park fee we had to pay for a separate State Park one.  That blows about the 1 car only rule.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 4:45pm
Isn't there an alternate put in for Kanasket that isn't a park (and isn't headworks)?
More water, please.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:11pm
yes, the bridge upstream of the park, but parking is pretty limited....
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:59pm
Maybe use erasable ink on the pass then change the number when needed?
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 8:04pm
Also, I just bought a new fish and wildlife pass back in March...bummer...should have waited...
Nomad
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:57pm
On my Dept Fish Wildlife pass I put a 2" strip of clear tape on it when I loan it out. You can easily peal off the tape (and old license #) and use it multiple times for multiple vehicles.
Might be able to do the same with this one.

Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:28am
I know somebody that did that once with temporary car tabs....

It's a criminal offense then, pretty sure it would be as well with these passes, just an FYI...
H2O please
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:43am
Flaming Geyser is also a state  park, so the answer is, yes, you do need a Discover Pass to use the lower take out.  About the only way to run the Green without a Pass is to put in at the bridge above K-P and take out at Paradise.  What I want to know is, can I turn in my Fish and Wildlife Pass and get an $11 dollar credit toward buying the Discover Pass?
Don't waste water!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:55am
Before everyone gets all crazy, I have some good information.

First I called Fish and Game and was given the following web link. I was pissed because the old WDFW parking permit that was given with Fishing
license used to be honored at all state parks with fishing access so long as a separate fee was not posted. Going forward they said they are looking at three options.

1. Increasing fishing
license fees an additional $30.00 to include the Discovery Pass.
2. Decrease fishing
license fees a few dollars to offset the number of locations no longer honoring the WDFW parking pass. Since WDFW still has certain places that are non state park fishing access locations (IE Rodeo Hole) they still will charge a separate amount for the parking at these locations included in fishing permits.
3. Remove the Parking Permit portion of Fishing licenses altogether and require users to purchase a Discovery Pass separately.

Regardless of those options the good news is that you don't have to worry until March 2012 about this stuff because all Current WDFW parking permits are being honored until next year when they make the change.

SEE LINK HERE : http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/discoverpass/
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:14am
Oh and you are all going to love this!!!!

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Passed%20Legislature/5622-S2.PL.pdf

6 NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. (1) A discover pass is required for any
7 motor vehicle to park or operate on any recreation site or lands,

PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:46am
Am I missing something here?  We're talking about $30 a year to park at all trailhead parking lots and state parks.  Sounds reasonable to me.  Especially if the other option is closing access.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:50am
Whoa there B you opened up a political debate in a simple parking pass conversation. Who is talking about taxes? This ain't no tax. Neither is the 520 Toll, that's a use fee.

Heck I think we should have to pay just to be on the river, after all the state spends alot of money keeping the water clean. What about air too, why are we not paying for that. I mean you gotta pay to fish, hunt, drive and park, why not breath, and what about walking on a sidewalk. Why the heck don't we have a pedestrian fee? Who pays for those sidewalks? Why not the people using them. And while I am on a roll Crosswalks, Hello we need coin operated crosswalks. Would that not be sweet! And then if you get caught Jwalking you have your normal ticket plus the requirement to pay for the cross walking toll.

Accountability for the government? Shure, if that's what you want to call it - I think the government is also efficient and effective. Well at least in deteriorating the effective nature of our constitution. Wait does our nation actually have one anymore or would that be now considered Articles of Incorporation?

Hows that for takin your bait, you dog gone freemont Troll. Toll that bridge too by the way.
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:55am
James, you and Brian are the opposite sides of the same coin...
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 12:22pm
POW, as long as that coin is legal US tender I will gladly share it with my main man B!!!
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 12:24am

Thanks for all the info guys! Especially good to know for my arrival back home

I know it sucks to have to pay for these things, but it really isn't about taxes or bridge tolls... The government (both State and Federal) has cut all kinds of money/budgets that used to go to the Federal and State Parks, and they're forced to get money from those who use the parks. This money goes to pay for things like garbage bins, rubish pickups, toilet paper, honeybuckets, road/misc. maintenance, and other such things, like the lone park ranger who gets paid a meaningless, pitiful amount of money to look after these places... I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or that I agree or disagree, but I do understand why it's happening.

I learned an interesting phrase in the UK while I was there that I think is pretty applicable here: At one time, there were parts of the UK where the government put a daylight tax on people's houses. The people were only allowed to have seven windows per house, or they'd get taxed for having more daylight than their neighbors. Thankfully, this law was abolished ages ago. However, there's a saying in the UK that the locals use when they feel they're getting unduely taxed/charged in some way: "That's just daylight robbery!!!"

$30 bucks or not, I'm STOKED to get back on a river when I get home!! *YAY*!!!!!!!!! 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:09am
So, since I have 4 licensed vehicles that I operate at any given time, I need to spend $120.00 on 4 passes? That is rediculas! Also may have to purchase one for any friends that may happen to drive that day. I might as well purchase about 20 passes just be sure...$600.00 worth...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:01am
This just in. I was at Flaming Geyser yesterday and they would not allow me to use my WDFW parking pass there anymore. So wether this is true or not I don't know, but the ranger told me that the Dept of F&W used to maintain fishing access points within the park and when this new bill went into effect the Dept of Fish and Wildlife removed the responsibility to manage the access points within all state parks. So the only places that WDFW parking pass works at is WDFW ONLY access points like Rodeo Hole.

I had a printed out copy of the signed bill and the WDFW statements saying that parks were covered for the remainder of this year and the ranger said you can come on in but I will give you a ticket and you can explain it to the courts and see if they agree.
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:41am
This is bullsh*t.  I actually support the idea of the Discover Pass, but poor implementation of this bill is going to exacerbate negative backlash.  Feel free to write to the bill's sponsor, Rep. Kevin Ranker. 

ranker.kevin@leg.wa.gov

The way I see it is this:  if you buy a permit from a state or federal agency and the agency decides to change the rules midstream, your permit should be valid until it expires or you should be able to get a refund.  For me, a refund on the Fish and Wildlife permit would make this situation right again.

What's happening now is complete and utter bullsh*t.

John
Don't waste water!
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:22am
Wow that ranger at FG was a jerk- instead of saying something like, "Good point, I need to look into that," he/she acts like some kind of hard ass. My guess is that this all happened so fast that no one really knows what the rules are and why I thought the deal was that it was going to be warning citations only until they got their act together. All these agencies have their a-holes and their saints, but regardless they all have distinct ways they like to do things. What a c-f indeed.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:20pm
So, what's the bottom line? Is it two passes we need?

Discovery pass for parks
Forest pass for federal lands

This is how I see it. Am I correct?

Jim

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:11pm
We are all pretty much screwed...pretty soon you will have so many passes hanging from your mirror you wont be able to see out the window!
Nomad
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:12pm
I pre-paid on my "good to go" pass for permission to wipe my A.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 12:54pm
OK, I figured out how to use the pass for multiple vehicles.
I tried all kinds of ink on the paper they use and found that the WET ERASE ink is the best...the dry erase leaves a residue that is detecable, the wet erase, when you get it wet, removes all traces of any thing on the paper.

So, get a wet erase felt pen then you can change the license # to any vehicle. You just have to remember to take the pen with you.

I hope I dont go to Jail for this discovery...
Nomad
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version