Professor Paddle: All new equipment. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: All new equipment. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: All new equipment.
    Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 12:24pm
         So here is what I'm looking at, after 14 years of the same leaking equipment and 3 years in a Tekno that is too small for me (being 220lbs and 6'3"). I'm putting together a $3,000 package- Wavesport EZG60, Kotatat Gortex dry suit with all the trimmings, Sweet Rocker Helmet, Aquavest 300 PFD, Werner Bent shaft graphite paddle, and a partridge in a pear tree (o, christmas is over isn't it?), plus sprayskirt and stuff. Basically starting over from scratch and get ready for the spring runoff. So how does that sound so far? Any suggestions? I like to play a little but want the stability of a bigger boat, but don't want a long creek boat, like to surf more than throw down, but like to mess around a little bit now and then, and like to run rivers around class IV- III.
Thanks
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 1:19pm
First off let me say this... You got the wrong boat.

You don't want the EZG. You want the Project. The EZG is a tweener boat. You want a ZG or Project. Or check out some other playboat. You will be sorry if you get the EZG though. I just know it.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 1:32pm
Ya, but I want a boat that is like a creeker with high volume, but short like a playboat so I can play once in a while. I not a hardcore playboater, I'm an all around kinda boater, but like a short boat for high manuvering and surfing. I guess I'm still waiting for someone to mke the perfect boat for me, Plus I'm tall and 200+.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 1:35pm
The EZG60 looks like what I need and It's fairly comfy, but I don't know anything about boats, so I do need advice. Just remember that I am not hard core and need some volume. (does the 60 meen the volume? If so that isn't very much, I may be looking for 65 Gal?)
Nomad
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 2:28pm
I've paddled the EZG 50, surfed it some too. It's a good boat, although the 50 is a little low volume for river running for me. The hull is nice for surfing, and well balanced for cartwheels. You probably won't get a lot of the higher end playboating moves out of it, but if you're looking to mainly front surf, spin, and cartwheel it'll do all of that pretty easily.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 2:59pm
Don't get the EZG. It is a crappy boat. If you still want a boat with a little more stability than an all out player like the project, go for the New Fun from Jacksonk in whatever the appropriate size is.
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 3:03pm
heard good things about the LL cross-river 250-- that might fit you.   nice river runner, but playful as well.
i like it when it rains
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 3:05pm
btw, i like the head-trips helmets more than the sweets.    their web site is a little ghetto, but it's a nice helmet    http://www.kayakinghelmets.com/
i like it when it rains
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 3:10pm
Dude Yotes ... you sucker ... I heard about your Air 55.... hahahah dude that had to be one of the funniest stories I have ever heard.

You need to blog that dude... post it up please it is way too funny. And remember I have an Air that you can buy!

Oh yea the CrossRiver from Liquid Logic is a killer boat. Well from what I have heard. Same thing cartwheels and surfs but not a throwdown machine. The difference is that I have seen people loop and throw moves on the skook with a crossover. The EZG is getting a little less agressive in my opinon.

~J

Edited by James - 27 Dec 2006 at 3:20pm
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 3:39pm
I've paddle all of the boats mentioned. I'm smaller than you are Ryan, but the boat that you want is the Super Fun which is the largest in the Fun series. It's a great all around boat and will serve you for many years even after you've become a mighty rodeo king throwing
Mc-Nasties and Mc-Twist-Its. The CR 250, I think, would be your second place if the Super isn't long enough. Good luck.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 3:46pm
Yeah, that killed a weekend for me. I'm looking at a few solutions right now, hopefully I'll have a working playboat within the next month. I'll put up a blog as soon as I get some pictures of the damage.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 4:13pm
Good stuff, hopefully I will be getting a new setup in about a month or so. That will give me some time to research some different boats. What about dragorossi boats?
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 4:19pm
Project 62?
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 4:29pm
Just checking out the New Fun, looks like a cool boat, those guys make it look easier than James does! Looks like the 4fun would be the boat for me.

Edited by dave - 27 Dec 2006 at 4:30pm
Nomad
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 6:37pm

Dave,

I have a Pyrahna 420 ML for sale if you wanna try it out.  I'm 6'3" and 235 (maybe 240 after the holidays) and I found it to be just a little too small in volume.  It might be just right for you if you're 220lbs.  I boated the Pyrahna all summer and I wish they made one with just a little more volume.
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 8:13pm
A lot of talk about boats here, all good stuff, but what about that helmet?

Sweets are over-rated and WAY over-priced!  Not to mention customer service sucks.

I would recommend a composite shell and a EEP liner.  If you must get a plastic helmet, check out the WRSI helmets at http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/

Drysuit?  Definitely get the relief zipper and consider the gore-tex booties.

Dan
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 8:22pm
I was looking at the Sweet helmet because it is a composite helmet that also covers the ears. I would like to cover my ears and the other composites don't, or they hit the top of my ears and rub them. ouch
Nomad
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 8:27pm
hmm.. i have the daffy from head trips, and it covers my ears.   i guess it depends on the head shape.   if you are ever at SRK, check them out there, they have them.   
i like it when it rains
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 7:56am
One more thing, should I buy everthing online? some places offer free shipping on boats, discounts on gear when buying boats, and no tax! That could mean instead of spending $3,000 only spending $2500. Or should I support our local shops and Washington state. To bad our local guys couldn't sell online and offer no tax. Lets see, tax on 3k is around $270.00 (thats alot of gas and beer money)
Nomad
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 11:09am
I say support the local shops.  We will be sad when they're gone.

You may be able to research prices on-line and then use that information to get competitive prices from the local shop, considering that you're buying multiple high-priced items.  We have at least a couple of shops; go with the one that gives you the best deal.

Yeah, it will be a bit more foot-work on your part, but you will be helping out the community by supporting our local shops.

Dan
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 11:14am
Ya, that makes sense.
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 12:53pm
I can help out a bit more than that.

You give me the 3k and I will drop off the following.
1 - Slightly Used - Like New - Air 55 (Custom Modified for Perfomance)
1 - Slightly Used - Like New - Stolquish Dry Top (Leaks a small amount, well alot)
1 - Slightly Used - Like New - 198 cm Aqua Bound Carbon Paddle (Has 2 Cracked Blades)
1 - Slightly Used - Like New - Protec wakeboarding helmet (Cracked along back)
1 - Slightly Used - Like New - IR Fleece Jump Suit (River scented added free)
1 - Slightly Used - Like New - NRS Booties (A bit of Duct tape on them, maybe removable)

Let me know if your interested. I could sure use the support and nothing beats the old motto, Reduce, Re-Use , Re-Cycle
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 4:23pm
  Dave,  I am a Bliss Stick whore!! check out the Rad 185, it's got good volume but isn't way to big!!  If you want more the 195 is HUGE.  Hell Leif fits in the damn thing.
  Dont listen to Dan on the Sweet helmets,  I am thoroughly convinced that I wouldn't be here with out mine. I took a blow that cracked it, and I walked awy ( kinda wobbly but I walked away).  Their customer service is on par with every other kayaking company.  Not to Nordstrom standards but acceptable if you are willing to wait.
  Do not go NRS for the dry suit, but if you want one, I have one in about 20 pieces I will sell you cheap, and a PFD that needs some repair.
  Palm suits are looking really good to me, I love mine. Check out the Bliss stick boats,, they are a great price and the outfitting is awsome.
Sure?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 7:50pm
Oh James, that equipment does sound sweet, but I'm going to have to pass for now. I feel obligated to support our economy and purchase all new equipment. Thanks for the awsome offer though.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 7:52pm
I may be interested in the booties though, they may make nice beer mugs!
Nomad
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version