Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6609
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:57pm

Topic: Looking for Recommendations: River Runner
Posted By: mcolgin
Subject: Looking for Recommendations: River Runner
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 3:29pm
Hey all. I've been researching online for a river-runner, in which I'll dedicate to stuff that's >= Class IV and not creeks.

But I'm having some troubles finding a boat in which my paddling weight is closer to what it's designed for; as I hate being in a boat that can handle over +25% more in body weight (250 lbs) and don't like being at the top of the range.

My body type is 6', 32" inseam, feet:11 and 205 lbs.

It's been a while since Iooked at the latest boat designs, but before getting into playboats, I had a Pyranha S8 (58 gal); which I liked a lot, but didn't care for the edges in the back (aka swallow tail). I then moved to a Dagger Kingpin 6.3 (56 gal); I loved this boat, but wanted something snappier and quicker on the water. Now I'm in a Crazy 88 6.3 (48 gal).

I know the hybrid boat-designs aren't all that great sometimes, so I'd love to get some suggestions on a good river-runner, that can handle good water-volume, can do some playboating; but mostly is stable, good rockers and quick maneuverability.

(shut up Ryan <smile>)

== Boats I've Had ==
Crazy 88 (48 gal)
Kingpin 6.3 (56 gal)
Pyranha S8 235 (58 gal)
Bliss Mac-1 (73 gal)

Replies:
Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 7:45pm
I'm Looking at the 4Fun by Jackson, it is comfy and has playability, plus its a river runner! It may be the perfect boat for a big guy like me. 6'3" 210lbs size 13 feet

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: hutchm
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 8:08pm
Give the 420 m/l a try. I am currently in the crazy 88 6.3 and thought the fit and river running was better in the pyranha. I am 6'1", 34" inseam, size 11 feet, and a blistering 155lbs.

There is no way the crazy 88 is 48gal, more like 54??? Not sure what dagger was smoking that day, but it must have been good stuff.

-------------
Yaris power baby

Posted By: oukr9965
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:38pm

The Fun series would be a great option for a river-runner/playboat combo and I wouldn't shy away from checking out the Star series (both Jackson boats).  I have the SuperStar and find it very well balanced and pretty fast for a playboat and I'm at the upper end of its weight range.  Very comfortable as well.

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:30pm
If you decide on the 420 M/L good luck on finding one.

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:57pm
The burn is good if you don't want to play

Print Page | Close Window