Events: Ramp Planning
Print Page | Close Window

Ramp Planning

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Events
Forum Discription: Read and Discuss Upcoming Events. Please Post Trips through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7427
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:21am

Topic: Ramp Planning
Posted By: James
Subject: Ramp Planning
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 9:47am
A few weeks back several folks from the community got together to discuss this years PP Ball, We started the planning that is going to make this years event go off like a Bomb!

Obviously we covered a ton of topics but the most important just like last year was the Big Air Ramp. To make sure that this years Ramp is bigger, wider and easier to use for all paddlers were going to have a special Ramp Planning meeting.

If you would like to come out and lend insight on the Ramp this is the time and place to do it. Were going to discuss the actual construction plans, reuse of old materials, and of course the placement and utilization of natural features on the property.

All we need to determine now is when and where we should set the Ramp Planning Meeting At? Thoughts? Anyone plan on Coming out to help?

To get the stoke up heres a shot from last years Big Air Ramp!

Replies:
Posted By: RemAcct2
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 10:46am
Anyone?  The ramp isn't going to build itself...

A bigger, better ramp is going to take some serious volunteerism to happen.

-------------

Posted By: Jeff
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 9:53pm
I'm in.  Gimmie a time and place.

-------------
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 1:15pm
Well its a bummer that only one person is into this but, if there were one person that I think is cabable .... its jeffro!!! Bring that welding tank and lets get busy boss man!

Lets meet up this Wednesday after a powerhouse run? Maybe go to the Bar afterwards... Sound good?

Time Suggestions?

Posted By: Liz
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 1:29pm
Dude, I've never been on a ramp before, and I think I'm much better at deconstructing than constructing, but I'll help out if you want me to.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 2:54pm
Liz ... we want all the help we can get.

I will put a time up once Jeff and Leif correspond and let me know they are in.

Should we go to a bar perhaps?

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 7:28pm
You know James, I would like to help, but I am politically challenged right now. I can participate behind the scenes maybe?

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 2:54pm
Is this still happening tomorrow?  If it is, I second James' motion to have a Powerhouse run first!  Must paddle!

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 3:17pm
This wednesday is out. Leif can't make it and I have not heard back from the other folks that expressed interest in helping with the Ramp.

Not alot of volunteer stoke this year for the Ramp... hope it happens

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 3:49pm
We still have 7 months before the event. It will happen, just give it a little time. I think January will be a better month for involvment. After the holidays.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 3:50pm
I wish I could paddle Wednesday, but I have a trade show to go to in Tacoma all day on Wednesday then I am off to get the keys to my new house!!!! i can hardly wait!

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: 14kayaking2
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 6:52pm
working on a new house near monroe myself....
I would love to help build a newer, bigger, better, faster, more beautiful big air ramp.  But that means I get to test first, right?

-------------
"We are only boaters between swims" Matty

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 7:55am
Dave- Congrats on the house!  That's awesome.  
Wanna run the PH on Thursday?

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 11:41am
anyone still planning on a powerhouse run today?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 12:09pm
I'd LOVE to run the Powerhouse today.  How does 4:00 sound, or 4:30? 

I called Jeff to say if he could go, but it's his BIRTHDAY today so he's going to da bar.Happy Birthday Jeff!!!

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 12:27pm
Either is fine with me.  Just let me know what works better for you.   you can call me at 720-937-2052 as well.  Though I may not be able to answer it but I will call you back ASAP.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 12:45pm
I tried to post a trip, but that feature isn't working.

If anyone else can't wait to get out in this beautiful weather, come run the Powerhouse today with us!  4:00 or 4:30... we'll see when I can get off work...

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 8:14pm
Thanks Liz, I am moving tomorrow, so I dont think I will be able to boat...

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: rokmnky4
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:42pm
im in for helping build whatever whenever, ill keep an eye out for the final meeting time

Posted By: Chuck e fresh
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:24am
I want to help as well and If you need some tools I can bring them too !! I mean equipment not people !!!

-------------
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:25am
There are no plans to have a ramp this year.

-------------

Posted By: dblanchard
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:31am
What happens to the ramp each year? Is it completely torn down, or is it modular so it can be reconstructed without too much effort? I've never slid down one or built one, but it looks fun.

If it isn't already designed to be broken down for transport and setup at a new location, I'm in for helping with design and construction for next year's ball.

D

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:47am
The ramp last year was too small to be effective.  Were we to build one this year, we would need to build it larger or borrow one from the clakamas festival.

In prior planning meetings, we determined that we didn't have enough interest from people in volunteering to make a ramp happen.  Furthermore, we made a decision this year to not seek substantial funding from industry, and therefore don't have sponsors to pay for ramp materials.

You are welcome to build a ramp.  I will even help.  If you can source materials and come up with a design, I am more than happy to bring tools and do as I am told.

-------------

Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:04pm
There is always interest in borrowing Lukes ramp in OR.  But a couple PP folks should head to the Clack Fest to see how its put together if they want to use it.  I will be there, but won't be around for setup/ dismantaling.  Lastly, there is no trailer to haul the OR Ramp, and nothing to raise it ie. Scaffolding.  They always use it at sites that are ancored by shore.

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:08pm
There is actually a hill side at the Wenatchee site which would work.

The problem is that no one wants to drive this project to completion, and neither James nor I have the bandwidth to deal with it at the moment.

Quoting myself from months ago: "A bigger, better ramp is going to take some serious volunteerism to happen."

Unfortunately, volunteers have been few and far between this year.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:10pm

Im Telling you guys, this is the way to go! James already has the van, we just need an extra $50k for the Mars systems ramp, or RAID shown here...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:21pm
thats actually my van in the picture... they took off all the goodies though :(

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:24pm
Perhaps Raymond Handling Concepts would like to sponsor the ramp?  No?  Well, then Dave, you are of no use to us...

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 1:01pm
If I was in control of RHCC I would certainly sponsor the project, but alas, I am but a lowly sales guy...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 1:05pm
In all seriousness, a van/truck-based ramp make a lot of sense, but I think we could fabricate one for much less than the commercial option. That would solve the "no trailer" issue, at least until the vehicle's owner moves out of state.

In any case, I have some ideas for a design for next year's ball, so if anyone else is into design, let's put our heads together after clearing them with some river water. PM me if you are interested in designing a new one, or can provide details about what was wrong with last year's design. From the discussion, I'd guess that velocity had something to do with it, but not necessarily height. I think an astroturf or indoor/outdoor carpet surface with a pump dumping river water on the top would be faster than the lattice. I wasn't there, so I really can't say. I'm just impressed people build these and then jump off of them.

D

Posted By: Chuck e fresh
Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 12:24pm
 I'm would love to help design, build and use it ! Last year there was little wrong with the ramp but it needed three improvements for sure. 1. Speed ;  height / friction.  2. transition from drop ramp to take off tranny. Needs to be longer and a bit more wide. It needs to be at least 4 to 6 feet longer before starting the upward prt of tranny ( the take off transition ) 3. The take off part of tranny needs to be longer and wider by 4 ft as well. The ramp in a clip I saw a while back is what I'd modle the next P.P ramp from. They were launching into a swimming pool. That is the shizzy for a ramp modle. I think the top was made of sheet mtle and they had water running down it. You should be able to find it on P.P sick ramp or somthing. But if we could improve on those three things if not for this years ball then next years we'd B golden ! I've built alote of skate ramps and the only thing ever holding the build back is materials and hands. I know one thing though... "If you build it, they will come !!!"

-------------
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 12:27pm
I can assure you that you can't get much less friction that the material used (Polyethylene fence material).  Height is what is needed.

Materials are expensive.  That is really the issue.  If someone came and sponsored the ramp, and was willing to provide all the materials, there would be no barrier to having a ramp.

Fortunately, there are a lot of other draws to the event besides a big air ramp.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 1:15pm
Thanks Leif,

It looked like wood to me, and wet wood is only slick when you don't want it to be.

James, I've sent you a PM on this.

D

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 2:23pm
Using the one from last year is totally acceptable.  Sure we'd like it to be bigger and better but I'd love to get on last years ramp compared to none at all.

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 2:38pm
Ryan - it is available to use. You will have to rent scafolding, purchase bolts/guy wire, and get a trailer to take it from gig harbor to the site.

Are you volunteering?

-------------

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 3:34pm
No, I have zero construction/engineering experience.  I wouldn't know where to start.  I could tow it if needed.

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:59pm
Would you like to source the trailer and fund scafolding rental?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:31pm
So, let me get this straight.  Everyone wants a ramp, but no one wants to help make it happen.

Nice.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 10:06pm
There are a few of us putting our heads together, and any naysayers will be given grief for not doing more than prod us. Shall I put you on the list of contributers, Lief, or the list of boobies?

D

Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 10:16pm
I've got my hands full leading up to the event with some other aspects of planning, but am happy to lend a hand if someone else is driving the project.

-------------

Posted By: Larry
Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 10:39pm
It may be too late for this year, and I have no way get it to and from the site, But I have plenty of scaffolding.  Last year 5' wide was used, and mine is either 3' or 3'6" wide, So that might make a difference too. But I thought I should let you know I can make it available.

Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 10:41pm
Someone have a trailer?  I have a truck...

-------------

Posted By: hugo
Date Posted: 12 May 2009 at 12:23am
 I humped that bliss stick babe in a trailer.

-------------
suck it

Posted By: rayw
Date Posted: 12 May 2009 at 12:37am
has anyone priced out how much it would be to rent a trailer and scaffolding so that we can use last years? it seems like it is a little to late to go about building an entirely new ramp.

Hugo, you may want to get checked, syphilis kills

Posted By: Tobin
Date Posted: 12 May 2009 at 6:03pm
OK, Do people want the ramp or not?
It is in the storage yard at my work. It can easily be made taller.
I have stayed away from this because of a sour taste left in my mouth after last years ball by a few people and their criticisms.
Contact Rick at United rentals in Gig Harbor, he essentially donated the scaffolding rental last year. He probably would again as I wrote a thank you letter and dropped off pictures and a video.
If there is an overall decision in favor of having it, I will assist the best a one armed man can.
Cheers

-------------
Sure?

Print Page | Close Window