Professor Paddle: Ingalls Creek Carnage vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ingalls Creek Carnage Post Reply Post New Topic
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doggievacation Replybullet Topic: Ingalls Creek Carnage
    Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:36pm

Got pitoned and briefly pinned on Ingalls Creek this morning, just above the confluence with Peshastin Creek.  Fortunately, it was a head-up pin and as water was loading up on my boat it pivoted off the rock with a little help from a forward stroke/brace.  Once free, the bow popped up and I saw that I had a huge, gaping crack in the bow of my Dagger Mamba.  (The crack is over 23 inches long!  See pix in gallery.)

Made my way to an eddy on river left just below the confluence with water sloshing around my legs.  After a bit of a breather, Texas Dave convinced me that the best plan was to paddle my boat back over to river right, so I could get out on Hwy 97.  That actually went very well since I had a nice section of Class II water to cross.  Out on the highway, I don’t think I had my thumb out more than five or six minutes before Samson drives by (on his way from Seattle) and makes the save!  Great timing!

The flow during our run was about 700 on the Peshastin gauge.  I could definitely tell there was more water in Ingalls than the previous day when we ran it at 590 (on the Peshastin gauge.)

Many thanks to Texas Dave & Arn for their on-water help and to Samson, Ben, and Ellie for their timely arrival on the highway.    I hope you guys had a good clean run.

John

Don't waste water!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 1:31am

That's not so bad! Get a plastic welder, some mesh, and a lot of duct tape and you can keep her going!

Kyle

I smell bacon
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 1:46pm
Yeah, Ingalls definitely has some bag spots.  My party had a pin and broach on Saturday.  Be careful, scout, and bring your pin kits. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 3:34pm
Yep.  Whoever wrote the run description for the PP Riverpage did a good job.  Here's the money quote:  "Stay on your toes- the last 100 feet can be really manky and serve up pitons or pins."

The rock I pitoned/pinned on was only about 25 feet from the confluence, hidden in the froth just downstream in a slot between two visible rocks.  I saw Dave hit something in there ahead of me, so I tried to get further to the left to avoid it.  Unfortunately, that only made matters worse.  I'd say we were just right of center in the stream bed.  Harder to the left would have been better.
Don't waste water!
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 8:05pm
Glad you are ok John! Way to stay cheerful after such an incident! Nice opportunity to get into a medium Burn
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:13am
I know the exact spot you are talking about.  I was in my play boat waiting at the confluence and saw at least 4 people piton's.  Its right in the river center about 50-70 yards up from the confluence. 

I scouted for it briefly yesterday when I drove by and of course it looks like nothing is there.  I'm going to stay high on the right for the run out my next trip down Ingalls. 

Kirk
Kirk B
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:35am
Kirk, further right might work, but there's more current on the right side than on the left side (and maybe more hidden pin rocks, I don't know.)  I just wonder if you can cut back hard left after the island and get out of the main flow.  Anyhow, the center line looks clean, but it's not!

Ben, I don't know if I'd use the word "cheerful" to describe how I feel.  Basically, I'm just happy that I was so lucky after my piton.  I pinned head up, it only lasted a few seconds, I had a (rare) eddy to head for immediately after I came free, and I had Arn and Dave both ready to give me as much assistance as I needed.  And then I got picked up by you guys on the highway immediately afterward!  So, yeah, I was unlucky to piton and destroy my boat, but I was very fortunate the way things worked out after that.  (And that makes me happy!) 
Don't waste water!
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:12pm
FWIW, I ran the further right line and it was clean. Pretty easy decision for me to run that way as I saw John momentarily pinned further left ;-)
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version