Professor Paddle: Upper Wind River Race/ Festival March 21-22 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Upper Wind River Race/ Festival March 21-22 - Event Date: 22 Mar 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Calendar Event: Upper Wind River Race/ Festival March 21-22
    Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 12:45pm
SATURDAY March 21st
9:30am meet at the cabin near the bridge over the Wind at Stabler, Washington to prep for the morning practice run.
10:30am shove off for 1st practice run.

12:30pm arrive at the High Bridge take out. Quick load and shuttle back up to the cabin for lunch and prep for the 2nd practice run.

2:30pm shove off for 2nd practice run.
4:15pm quick load and shuttle back up for Saturday evenings festivities at the cabin, bring a lawn chair or tarp if its raining.

5pm barbeque, beverages, music, silent auction...

SUNDAY March 22nd
9:30am registration begins.
10:45am registration ends.

10:45 boaters meeting.
11:15 floaters depart to set up safety, take pictures, shoot footy. We will coordinate where these folks will be stationed at the boaters meeting.

3 Mile Downriver Race
12- HIGH NOON : Mass start kayak, all boats 9 feet or less. Lets just call this a creek boat race but if you wanna throw down in a playboat go for it. If enough folks show up with a playboat and wish to create a class we will.

12:05 Mass start R4 raft (R2 if levels are low, below 4.6, will be determined that morning).

12:10 Mass start catarafts.

12:15 Mass start whatever is left.

1:45 Arrive High Bridge take out for quick load and shuttle back up to the cabin for race results and awards.

3pm Awards and chillin at the cabin. Not sure if we will have food or beverages on this day so please bring your own.

•     All boaters that have developed a Class IV+ skill level are encouraged to attend. You don’t need to be a racer to participate.

•     Parking is limited- carpool. At the take out please leave your vehicle at the top of the dirt road. It really is just a short walk or jog up there and this will keep everyone happy.

•     At the put in please park your vehicle on the shoulder of the main road and leave the driveway at the cabin clear as provides drive through turnaround access. (No backing up the paved road by the cabin).

•     $15 covers shuttles for both days, Saturday night barbeque and stuff, ACA insurance, sweet prizes, misc. event costs.

Edited by James - 10 Mar 2009 at 5:58pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 2:28pm
is there going to be a long boat class? Or was that phased out?
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 3:51pm
Luke from Next Adventure is ironing out those details for the kayaks.
I did speak to him today and he mentioned a class 8.6 feet or less, and possibly a playboat class if there is enough interest.
Regarding the real long boats, ie sea kayak or downriver race specific boat we are trying to phase those out. The water level will likely be on the low side.   
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 3:54pm
I wasn't thinking wildwater type boats, but 10'+ range plastic boats, cosica S', outburst, hurricanes, pirouettes, etc. 
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 6:32pm
The Upper Wind Race is March 21-22 and we wanted to make sure that the rules
are clear for the kayaking races. We are trying to set rules that are
consistent throughout the Western Whitewater Series. For more info on the
event go to www.oregonraftingte am.com <http://www.oregonra ftingteam. com%20>The
rules are pretty simple. Good Luck and we will see you there! Oh ya, don't
forget about the ORT Freaky Friday fundraiser this Friday night at
Madison's!

- the format for the kayak races is a down river mass start
- we will have a long boat class which is over 8'6" and a short boat class
of under 8"6"
- the long boat class is limited to whitewater boats only (for safety
reasons)
- no malicious intent to harm another paddler this will lead to
disqualification
- other than that show up ready to get er done!

--
Luke Spencer
Event Organizer
NW Riot Tech Rep
NW Level 6 Rep
West Coast Neosport/Hyperflex Rep
eddyhopperluke@ gmail.com
Ph.#503-341- 4268
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 8:33am
We just might have a good water level for the Wind Festival:
http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?TLYO3
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 5:58pm
I guess I need a longer boat. My 9' Diablo is an awesome downriver boat, but it's useless when you break the boat classes at 8'6".

I can't bring myself to race a creekboat. I know that's what everyone has out here, but it's still stupid. it's like using full suspension mountainbikes with knobby tires for the Tour De F*#ckin France. Absolutley stupid. It's like that Rush song "The Trees" (listen to the lyrics) and it absolutely KILLS the race, by limiting what is possible.

If you want to race a creekboat, race on a creek that's steep enough to justify using such a slow pig of a boat. The Wind is not such a run. it's a RIVER.

Edited by wetmouse - 16 Mar 2009 at 5:59pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 12:06pm
Agreed JP,  creek boats races should be held on creeks, not rivers!!!    The wind race is mainly for the Rafting participants like (ORT)  they excel on bigger rivers because they practice as a full team on them.  It's my hope that raft racing will be weined  from it's downriver  roots, or branch off  and progress into a creeking realm where skill,   not muscle are factors of a good team.  I'm pushing in that direction for the future and just maybe we can have a Truss race in the future opposed to a wind race!
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 12:33pm
Good discussion.
The Wind Festival was indeed initially created with inflatables (rafts, catarafts) in mind. Turns out the kayaks outnumbered the rafts last year and the hard boaters had a blast.

Having fun and developing river communities is the soul of our efforts.

As evidenced by our 3rd place finish to yourself, Paul, and Hans at the Canyon Creek Race last year, our muscle and team focus wasn't good enough in a technical steep creeking environment. We all have our own individual interests, who's to say that one is better than the other.

It would be a shame to have a Truss Race opposed to a Wind Race, how about we do both? ORT guys certainly enjoy running the Truss as well.

Regarding the kayaks, the boat length thing is a tough one. We are simply attempting to establish a consistent criteria for the entire Western Whitewater Championship Series (WWCS). This series does include creeking venues such as the EF Lewis (which replaced Canyon Creek) and a Truss Race on May 30th. That race is not coordinated by us so we'll just have to wait and see what those coordinators who are doing all the work are comfortable setting up.

Bring whatever you want to the Wind this weekend and get after it, we'll give you a time and you can enjoy the barbeque and river community.
I apologize for not having the resources at this time to appease everyone, were doin our best and will keep working on it.     
Tim   
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 12:42pm
Good point Tim,   why not both!    I applaud your efforts in organizing the races,  i'm sure it's probably a challenge to appease the community as a whole,  we all have our own interests.   You mentioned a Truss race on May 30th.   Is the organizer allowing a rafting class on  the upper section (Truss)?  if so,  that would be awesome!     After looking at the ORT events page,  it just says white salmon race, no mention of section or classes.   
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 1:08pm
As far as I know....and bear in mind the event is still under development by first time organizers:
Whitewater Symposium in the morning.
Kayak only race on the Truss in the afternoon.
Raft, IK, and cat race from Maytag to Husum in the afternoon/ evening.

They want to keep things as simple as possible this year, quality over quantity. I applaud any and all efforts they make.    
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 3:19pm
i think we should just start crashing all the creeking comps till they all have r-2 races.

tim i think what your doing is cool, someone has got to represent the pnw boaters in those big races and you guys work and train hard for it.

hans
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 11:02am
Please go to our Events page for Upper Wind Festival updates:
http://www.oregonraftingteam.com/cal.shtml
oregonraftingteam.com
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 11:40am
Hey Tim - where are the results posted at?

Also, general question: why did the Lewis race get scheduled Easter weekend?  Aren't there any Christians out there anymore?
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 12:01pm

I'll have the results up on the ORT site soon.

I screwed up last year and scheduled the Wind Race on Easter and I go to church most Sundays.

Check out these sweet pics from Rams Horn, good raft carnage!
oregonraftingteam.com
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 2:38pm
oregonraftingteam.com
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 9:21am
Got me scared Leif.

The EF Lewis Race has not been moved it is still scheduled for April 11-12th, 2009.

The EF Paddle ORT has down on their site is a paddling trip they are going to do there.  Probably in an attempt to train.  Better be training up there Tim, been rowing a Cat on flat water for 20+ days + have only had 3 beers that entire time + have enough pent up energy to easily paddle sprint for 45 minutes straight no problem. Better get in a couple extra practice laps there bud! haha.

See you all there!
27/320 & 1 bootie
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 9:59am
Paul - unfortunately the Easter holiday moves around.  I'll come down on the 11th, and head back to hang with family (and do taxes) on the 12th.
OR Rafting Team
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote OR Rafting Team Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 10:07am
Nice work Paul.
Very good to hear your on the cat (referred to by non boaters as "the wagon').
A little break from the spirits provides clarity in many ways.

We should have about 3 teams for the EF race. None of which are as good as you and Fish on the water but maybe I'll bring my boxing gloves so you quit bugging me about a chance to spar.   
oregonraftingteam.com
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version