Professor Paddle: Delta broke... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Delta broke... Post Reply Post New Topic
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Topic: Delta broke...
    Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 4:59am
my paddle. Those bastards. I even taped a 1.25" dia fir dowel to it and they snapped that too (not to mention they tore the bag to sh*t). I tried to carry it on as brett suggested but no luck. Instead they put two fragile stickers on it and called it good.
I will post a follow up post with how they deal with the situation. Hopefully I can get a paddle to borrow in the meantime.
And the weather is not sunny and 80 like I hoped. It is cloudy and rainy, just like WA.

Darren

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 5:32am
Dang Darren, that sucks. Hope the rest of the trip goes well. I'm sure it will
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 8:23am
Went on vacation this past week.  My luggage (on Delta) went to Maui, while I went to South Georgia.  Go figure.  Stuff was broke on the way home too.  Sorry to hear about your paddle. 
-Lanson
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:23am
Darren: Bummer about the stick, your a pretty resourceful guy though, I am sure you will find two large dinner spoons and figure something out. Keep us posted on your trip, I can't wait to see some photos and updates on how it goes for ya!!!

Brett: whats up, I figured for sure that you would be down there as winter set in... what gives?

And lanson: bummer about the bags, sounds like they got the better end of the deal though, Maui vs Hinesville hmmmm....
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 1:21pm
When its got to be there, and got to be in one piece, ship it FedEx.  Really a much better alternative, especially with what airlines are charging for bag fees now.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 3:15pm
Yeah those fu*kers! I'm with Leif: Ship the sh*t. Including luggage. Take your carry on bag and that's it.

When I arrived in Costa Rica (the second trip), Stud Muffin and I had to wait in San Jose for the better part of two weeks for our boats to show up. Granted, we were there to stay in Costa Rica for about 3 months. We were met by this gringo at the airport who seemed cool enough- he was some surfer rasta dude and he encouraged us to stay at this place called, I can't believe how stupid I was to go along with this- the "Hotel California". I mean, the name should have been enough to warn us.

This "Hotel California" in San Jose was pretty cheap, but the guy who owned it was a sleasy dick Gringo from New York, and the surfer-rasta-dude was a heroin junkie. Anyway, it all worked out and eventually our boats arrived, but we certainly had the feeling that "we could check out anytime we liked, but we could never leave".

Ship it seperately.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 5:38pm
I got mine to Ecuador last year through American and had a problem at the counter initially, but talked with the guy and his boss explaining I went with American in the past because I never had problems and that my boats not coming with was unacceptable. I just kept insisting on taking my boats. I was always polite (and showed up 4 hours early) and never made it about what they were doing to me. I kept it at "it was an unfortunate policy" and worked from there, always coming back to "there has to be some way to work this out" until I wore him (the guy's boss) down. Took about 20 minutes. Good luck. I didn't want to hassle with trying to find my boat the next day and all that. Get it on the plane.
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 7:34pm
I've had luck bagging them, calling them "surf boats" (because surf boards seem to get on the plane), and sticking a break down in the bag.
kbelenky
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kbelenky Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 11:10am
JP, that's funny as all hell. I stayed at the Hotel California in San Jose for one night back in 1996 when we had some travel hiccups. Back then there was no creepy Rasta guy but the owner definitely was a sleazy dick. I got the distinct impression he was running from the law in the US.

Going back to the Hotel California is high on my lifetime To Don't list.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by kbelenky

JP, that's funny as all hell. I stayed at the Hotel California in San Jose for one night back in 1996 when we had some travel hiccups. Back then there was no creepy Rasta guy but the owner definitely was a sleazy dick. I got the distinct impression he was running from the law in the US.

Going back to the Hotel California is high on my lifetime To Don't list.

Mine too! That is funny- and I'm sure you're right: Some of those ex-pats are there for a (nafarious) reason!

Bret- way to kil 'em with kindness, dude! Good diplomacy on your end, it sounds like.

My first trip out of the U.S, to Costa Rica went like this at the airport:

After carpooling from Montana to Seattle w/ my Corsica S, I took the Green Tortoise down to LA with the boat on the roof of the bus. Totally cool adventure in and of itself.

The airline (can't emember who- this was 1993) told me when I booked the flight it would be no problem for my boat to ride on the same plane. Maybe they charged me an extra $75, or even $100 (can't remember) but I was totally cool with that.  

But when I got to LAX it was a totally different story. The counter attendees were refusung to check my boat, so I had them get some guy in a suit, who also insisted it couldn't fly. I too remained very polite, yet firm, and eventually a guy with knee pads, a hardhat and a tape measure came out. The suit was insisting "it wouldn't fit". The guy with the tape measure measured it, then as he was retracting his tape, he said "it'll fit". And that was that. I almost felt as though the guy who came to my rescue had some mild satisfaction in helping me out while perhaps undermining the suit's misplaced authority.

But next time I'll ship it if I can.

Edited by jP - 01 Dec 2009 at 2:58pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 2:28pm
Delta processed and approved a claim for $497. I should be getting a check in about 2 weeks. I told them the paddle cost $425 new (AT2 std) and the paddle bag cost $80. They depreciated the value down to $497.
If you travel in the future, be sure to show them what is in the bag before checking the bag. Only reason they are paying is that the bag checker approved the item before being checked.

Darren

Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 4:57pm
Hey Darren - If you're looking for a new paddle, NRS has 20% off new Werner paddles today only.  Pretty decent deals on paddles. 
Dave
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:35pm
Haha... I'm sorry your paddle broke... but you should send that claim to AT, not delta... AT should pay for making paddles that break all the time. I'd say this had nothing to do with Delta... Take that money and buy yourself a Werner!!

Just sayin'... oh, and sorry again that your paddle broke.

JHB
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:45pm
Werner all the way.  I lost a Werner Powerhouse on Clearwater Creek after an unhappy incident.  It was found downstream several months later, still usable after 15 or so miles of what must have been high water class V+ sievy nastiness that is the Upper and Lower Middle Fork Nooksack, including log jams and a 15' diversion dam, and boulder drop on the clearwater...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 2:54pm
Werner.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 5:14pm
Used werner for 11 years. Broke more than a dozen. They stopped fixing them. First time I've had a AT break.
It was not a paddle problem. I had a 1.5" wooden dowel taped to the paddle. They snapped that as well. Probably several hundred pounds of force.

D

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version